Coach McKinstry and the Leone Stars suffered a narrow 1-nil defeat to Cape Verde.
In the World Cup qualifier in Praia (Cape Verde) today, Cape Verde scored an early goal from somewhat of a fortunate situation, and from there on in frustrated a game that was otherwise characterised by the Leone Stars in possession.
Coach McKinstry commented "In international football I think you will struggle to find many examples where the away team has had the majority of possession and territory, as we had today, but couldn't put the finishing touch to it and get the ball into the net".
Reflecting on the game as a whole, Coach McKinstry noted "In terms of the performance of the Leone Stars, the are clear positives in how the team is developing - in terms of how we passed the ball, better using the space of the field, pressurising our opponents - and on another day maybe those chances that came back off the post would end up in the back of the net, but not today."
"At this level the result is king, and we have to do better to ensure we see off teams and that the result matches the performance going forward".
Notes to Editors
- The game is a World Cup 2013 Qualifier against Cape Verde on 15 June 2013
- The game is the second in charge for Coach McKinstry who was appointed to the post in April 2013.
- See www.johnnymckinstry.com for a range of information - biography, press releases and photographs for press use.
Download Pictures (for Media Use)
Any of the pictures on this website can be downloaded from our photos / videos page.
- Pictures are free for use in web/print news or social media if unaltered and accompanied by a prominent photo credit e.g. (photo: Darren McKinstry / www.johnnymckinstry.com).
- Pictures should not be used in other promotional material or for reward unless written permission has been obtained.
- Higher resolution photos are also available if required.