Northern Irish Coach, Johnny McKinstry, leads Sierra Leone to a 3-2 victory over Equatorial Guinea in their final world cup qualifier (7 September 2013)
Amidst torrential rain, Sierra Leone have recorded a 3-2 victory over Equatorial Guinea in their final world cup qualifier (7 September 2013)
The Leone Stars played very well, moving 3-0 ahead of the visitors. We understand that it is something close to 20 years since Sierra Leone have gone three goals ahead in a competitive game.
Coach McKinstry commented:
"We are very pleased with the result. We said before kick off that we would not settle for anything less that a win today, and that is what the team have achieved.
Beyond that I would say that for 70 minutes of the game, in what were some pretty awful conditions, we put in a top-drawer performance with the team implementing the new appraoches we have been developing in training."
However, reflecting on the final scoreline Coach McKinstry said
"What seems to be the perennial problem of Sierra Leonean football stretching back several years reared its head again in terms of conceding late goals".
Coach McKinstry went on to say:
"It is simply not good enough to allow 2 late goals in the fashion we did today and the players are clear on this point.
So yes, there is still work to do and I relish the challenge ahead of making sure that we continue to develop our attacking brand of football, whilst at the same time working to ensure we become water tight at the back."
Thinking ahead to AFCON 2015 Coach McKinstry noted:
"If we can do this, which I am confident we can, then next years African Nation’s Cup qualifiers should prove to not only be exciting for the supporters, but also successful for the Leone Stars."
Notes to Editors
- The game is Sierra Leone's final World Cup 2013 Qualifier against Equatoral Guinea on 7 September 2013
- The game is the third in charge for Coach McKinstry who was appointed in April 2013.
- See www.johnnymckinstry.com for a range of information - biography, press releases and photographs for press use
Download Pictures (for Media Use)
Any of the pictures on this website can be downloaded from our photos / videos page.
- Pictures are free for use in web/print news or social media if unaltered and accompanied by a prominent photo credit e.g. (photo: Darren McKinstry / www.johnnymckinstry.com).
- Pictures should not be used in other promotional material or for reward unless written permission has been obtained.
- Higher resolution photos are also available if required.